Re: Icons of program

Matt Kimball <mkimball@xmission.com> writes:

> And I don't see that much difference between a filesystem and a
> registry, really.  People argue that it is too unsafe to store
> important system information in a database like that, but isn't that
> what a filesystem is?  Just because Microsoft came up with a poor
> implementation doesn't mean that the whole concept is bad.

You also missed the fact that registry is not human-readable. Meaning
you need special tools to edit it, and the special tools are only
available when Windows are already running. So once you hose registry
beyond recovery, if you don't have a backup, there is absolutely no
way to fix the problem (short of reinstall). UNIX textfiles are
editable by hand so the system can always be brought back into a
bootable state (well, as long as filesystem is still alive) - you just
boot it from the floppy, mount the hard disk and edit the
configuration.

Basically a large binary file that can only be modified if GNOME is
already running can be equivalent to locking the car keys inside your
car.

--
I refuse to use .sig