Re: Icons of program

"Tony 'Merc' Mobily" <mobily@iternet.it> writes:

> At 10:29 AM 4/19/98 -0400, raster@redhat.com wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> >if you use the thumbnail viewer, check in ~/.ee/icons/
> >u'll proly find form that dir on it will build a miror of your filing
> >system - so if you have a thumbnail for a picture:
> >/usr/local/pix/sky.png
> >
> >a thumbnail exists in:
> >~/.ee/icons/usr/local/pix/sky.png

> Yep, it works definetly better :-)
> But there is still a problem: if I do "cp", and I change the location of
> the file, what happens to the icon?

> I admit I've been thinking about it for quite a while, without finding a
> solution. The "more elegant" idea would be to put stuff in the executable,
> but it would be too ridicolus.
> Then... arghhh...

Couldn't you just use objcopy to add an additional section
to the executable with the icon in it?  (Granted, this is sick and
twisted, but it is possible.)

Actually, you can.  I just added "eeprom.c" to ls, with a section name
of ".gnome" and the resulting executable runs fine:

  objcopy --add-section=.gnome=eeprom.c ls ls.new

This could be used to add icons to legacy binaries too...

Steve
dunham@cps.msu.edu