Re: Tutorial on GNOME session manager support

On Sun, Apr 19, 1998 at 12:35:34PM -0300, Marc Ewing wrote:

> Having simple reference-type documentation embedded in the source is
> nice, but that method doesn't work so well for tutorial-type docs,
> which I think are necessary.

Right -- once you know what function or module would be appropriate,
the source code itself is nearly as easy to read as automatically
extracted reference material would be.  The real problem, especially
for folks just getting started or with very limited time (i.e., nearly
everyone) is getting from having no knowlege at all to having enough
knowlege to know where to look for more detailed information.

I've found the Gtk tutorials (put together by Owen Taylor?) and the
Gnome Tricks and Tips put together by Dr. Mike to be invaluable for
climbing the front part of the learning curve.  Other, similar
resources that would be useful would be tutorials on the
autogen/autoconf/aclocal/autoheader/automake/autoetc series of tools,
and on the i18n series of tools and techniques.  Once an Orb and a
configuration tool (Linuxconf, COAS, etc) are selected, tutorials on
those will be very useful for getting folks up to speed quickly.

-- John Kodis.