What have I overlooked?

When I autogen.sh gnome-libs, it complains in the po/ subdir that it
can't find ../gnome-libs.po.  As a result, it won't
internationali(z|s)e.  It configures and compiles ok with
--disable-intl...

Whenever I try to run any of the gnome-utils ( also compiled
--disable-intl ) I get a ** Bad Match ** which I have traced ( by dint
of commenting out code ) as far as the stock items in gnome-stock.
Can anyone in the know save me a few hours by zeroing right in on the
problem?