Re: Panel Question

> Ok, I dug around in the panel's main.c.  Specifically the function
> orientation_change(...).  I added some g_prints just so I could
> see what what going on.  After the panel has been running my
> applet gets a change_orient call like it should as this gets
> dispached from the info->type == APPLET_EXTERN branch of
> orientation_change.  However when my applet is first started
> it is of type APPLET_EXTERN_RESERVED and does not get reoriented.
> Just to see would happen I tried changing orientation_change
> to reorient applets of type APPLET_EXTERN_RESERVED.  It crashed.
> So my applet doesn't get an automatic change_orient call when
> it starts up.  So am I doing something wrong or the panel code
> broken/unfinished?

APPLET_EXTERN_RESERVED means that the spot is only reserved not taken by
the applet .... that will happen when it becomes APPLET_EXTERN then it
should signal another orientation_change ... I'll look at the code if
this is what happens

> I have one other question.  When I do get a change_orientation call
> (like when I change the orientation of the panel itself, then it works)
> I resize my widget (a GtkDrawingArea) then I do gtk_queue_resize on my
> plug to get it to resize.  Everything resizes execept that the panel
> gets kind of wide (its vertical) since the horizontal version of my
> program is wide. The panel doesn't shrink now that my (vertical) applet
> fits nicely.  Should it?  If so, how can I make it happen?

I'll see what happens here .. it's probably that the resizing is done in
a bad order ... but a size_allocate which would happen on the plug would
get caught by the socket and would make the panel resize itself ...

I'll test this with another applet ...

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
  The following implements RSA in perl and is illegal to export from the US: