Re: `gtk.m4'

    I just had to make a symlink from "/usr/local/share/aclocal" down to
    "/usr/share/aclocal" in order to get the Gnome stuff to autoconf.
    Why doesn't `autoconf' look in both directories?  It should, I think.

It seems to me that aclocal stuff is fundamentally, well, *local*.  So
maybe in this case it's appropriate that it only searches /usr/local.

In any case, the upstream autoconf maintainer is tied up in legal
issues at the moment.  Feel free to file a bug; I'll forward it
upstream when he manages to clear those legal hurdles.