Re: CVS

  RPD> What's slp?  sounds exactly like what I've neen advocating for
  RPD> years (and slamming both redhat and debian for not doing, make
  RPD> the package a .zip file with the first file a .tar containing
  RPD> the installable image, put the other packaging control files
  RPD> into the .zip as separate files, prehaps including a fast copy
  RPD> of the toc of the tar, a signature for the tar, etc.  People
  RPD> who don't care about your package system can still use the file
  RPD> just like a plain old .tar.gz, but it has all this other useful
  RPD> information...

*grin* But that's -exactly- what a Debian package looks like. Well,
almost. It's actually an "ar" archive of 2 .tar.gz files,
control.tar.gz (the package information files) and data.tar.gz (the
actual files in the package). Grab one, run "ar x" on it, and untar
the resulting files, you'll see :) The point is, though, that a .deb
can be unpacked very easily with only standard UNIX tools and no real
contortions.

Just one of the technical decisions Debian hasd made which has earned
my support :)

-Larry
--
  Larry Daffner        |  Linux: Unleash the workstation in your PC!
  vizzie@airmail.net / http://web2.airmail.net/vizzie/