RE: Very perplexing compile trouble

I am not sure that I understand your reply.  I have the source code for
these
libraries and stuff in /usr/src.  I then use their respective configure
program
and then make and make install.  Then I do a ldconfig to reset and
install the
libraries.

Now at this point I go back and try to compile gnome-libs and there are
missing libraries.  BUT, the missing libraries are missing from the
libraries
that I had compiled and installed just earlier.

I am not sure what directory I am supposed to add to my path given this
scenario.  There is not a /usr/src/bin created here ...