Re: Brainstorm: Desktop

On Wed, 8 Apr 1998, K. wrote:

> VFS is an abstraction layer through which the kernel internally interfaces
> with arbitrary filesystem types. As such it is irrelevent to the current
> discussion. My apologies if there is a user-level service by the same name
> which supports eg. HTTP addressing.
>
> The idea of supporting HTTP as a means of accessing configuration
> information is interesting; for example you could log into a host using a
> guest account and retrieve your desktop _configuration_ from your usual
> (now remote) host via HTTP. However a distinction would have to be made
> between information which is specific to a local host, and information
> which is host-independent; for example a menu entry which refers to a
> particular binary (executable) depends on that binary being available on
> the local system. Images etc. could simply be transferred along with the
> config info, but this would not be reliable for executables and other
> system-dependent files.

	It would seem that FTP is a better choice.  User configurations
can be password protected (more easily) and they can reside ANYWHERE in a
user's directory structure.  HTTP is usually confined to a subdirectory
contained within their directory.

	As for troubles with binary files...  Can't this be solved with
MIME?  (Specify file type, etc.)  Or are you suggesting that a user links
to Netscape on one machine and has no access on the other?  If so, I can
think of several solutions.

	1) Use tools like rpm, locate, whereis, which to find the program
in question on the local machine.
	2)If it can't be found, run the program on the remote machine
(using lbx if available) and export the display.  Why not?

						-Ben

Benjamin Kahn                        /,`.-'`'   -,  ;-;;'
(212) 924 - 2220                    |,4-  ) )-,_ ) /\
 If you love something, write it in C; if it compiles, it is yours;
                     if it doesn't, it never was.