Re: Brainstorm: Desktop

VFS is an abstraction layer through which the kernel internally interfaces
with arbitrary filesystem types. As such it is irrelevent to the current
discussion. My apologies if there is a user-level service by the same name
which supports eg. HTTP addressing.

The idea of supporting HTTP as a means of accessing configuration
information is interesting; for example you could log into a host using a
guest account and retrieve your desktop _configuration_ from your usual
(now remote) host via HTTP. However a distinction would have to be made
between information which is specific to a local host, and information
which is host-independent; for example a menu entry which refers to a
particular binary (executable) depends on that binary being available on
the local system. Images etc. could simply be transferred along with the
config info, but this would not be reliable for executables and other
system-dependent files.

K.

--
Conrad Parker  conradp@cse.unsw.edu.au