Re: GEP 7 - icons and thumbnails - gnome_icon_loader

On 27 Sep 2002, Michael Meeks wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> On Thu, 2002-09-26 at 20:04, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > > This is a good point.  Although I do see a need for i18n, it would
> > > be wiser to split the logic and the display content into distinct
> > > elements.
> >
> > Ideas on this?
>
> 	None; it's hard to see what the requirements are precisely:
>
> 	a) user custom icon addition & markup
> 	b) packaged theme use
> 	c) speed of access
> 	d) parsing speed
>
> 	Of course, the current scheme of lots of little files works well for
> a), and perhaps b), but sucks for c), d). Especially - it's bad enough
> having loads of little image files - because disk seek time is really
> bad, but having another file per file with this data in sucks too.
>
> 	Is it possible that a) is best served by the current setup - ie. keep
> the existing code, but expand the spec to include a per theme file that
> contains a complete list of a full theme directory's icon attributes
> where applicable.
>
> 	Of course, then ideally an theme directory's description file would be
> translatable with simple po files - rather than inventing a new per
> locale string hashing method. Of course, these considerations are rather
> late in the day for the spec. and cleraly it's best to go with something
> that works now.
>
> 	So, all pretty irrelevant; and deep future / future performance
> optimisation; the important thing is to opacify the API to give us
> freedom later. [ and remove the i18n fields in the theme itself that
> arn't used that just demoralises the i18n team I assume ].
>
> 	Does that make sense ?

KDE uses something called KSyscoca. It's a read only database for these
kinds of things that is generated once and then apps use it for fast
lookups.

http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/kdeqt/kde3arch/ksycoca.html

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a scrappy guitar-strumming librarian on his last day in the job. She's a
plucky out-of-work doctor living homeless in New York's sewers. They fight
crime!