Re: GEP 7 - icons and thumbnails - gnome_icon_loader

Hi Alex,

On Thu, 2002-09-26 at 20:04, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > This is a good point.  Although I do see a need for i18n, it would
> > be wiser to split the logic and the display content into distinct
> > elements.
>
> Ideas on this?

	None; it's hard to see what the requirements are precisely:

	a) user custom icon addition & markup
	b) packaged theme use
	c) speed of access
	d) parsing speed

	Of course, the current scheme of lots of little files works well for
a), and perhaps b), but sucks for c), d). Especially - it's bad enough
having loads of little image files - because disk seek time is really
bad, but having another file per file with this data in sucks too.

	Is it possible that a) is best served by the current setup - ie. keep
the existing code, but expand the spec to include a per theme file that
contains a complete list of a full theme directory's icon attributes
where applicable.

	Of course, then ideally an theme directory's description file would be
translatable with simple po files - rather than inventing a new per
locale string hashing method. Of course, these considerations are rather
late in the day for the spec. and cleraly it's best to go with something
that works now.

	So, all pretty irrelevant; and deep future / future performance
optimisation; the important thing is to opacify the API to give us
freedom later. [ and remove the i18n fields in the theme itself that
arn't used that just demoralises the i18n team I assume ].

	Does that make sense ?

	Regards,

		Michael.