Re: GEP 7 - icons and thumbnails - gnome_icon_loader

On 27 Sep 2002, Michael Meeks wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> > For GnomeIconLoader they are indeed not very useful, but we're talking on
> > the order of two strings per app here. It can hardly be called bloat.
>
> 	Sure - the theme name / description isn't bloat - but I still think we
> should get rid of them ;-) - having that file without any i18n bloat
> seems a good plan to me; that is if you agree about the metatheme thing
> ?

Metatheme thing?
For an icon theme chooser you would need a theme name to display, right?
KDE uses the name already in their system, so we can't remove if from the
spec, but if it worries you we can ignore it in GnomeIconTheme (you need
something else to list all themes anyway).

> > The DisplayName field was added (to the spec) because it was deemed very
> > useful, especially for KDE. For some icons (like emblems) it makes sense.
>
> 	Right; and that's another thing that slightly worries me about the API.
> I'm a tad concerned that the API exposes us to hefty memory use problems
> [in a non-fixable way] if we use a KDE theme that has every icon marked
> up with some sort of name, which they're fully at liberty to do.
> Similarly, the custom attributes don't seem to be exposed in the API
> either [ as mentioned in the spec. ]
>
> 	My feeling is that the best way to solve the problem is by making the
> structure opaque and proving accessors. [ might be nice to be able to
> get the URI from the IconData again even ]. Something like:
>
> char    *gnome_icon_data_get_display_name ();
> gboolean gnome_icon_data_get_embedded_rect (GdkRectangle *);
> gboolean gnome_icon_data_get_attach_points (int *n, guint16 **pts);
>
> 	etc.
>
> 	Then we can re-hash the impl. in interesting ways as/when it's
> necessary, avoid the fixed size limit for attach points etc. - how does
> that sound ?
>
> 	[ sorry to be a pain ].

I did something a bit like this after the rename. There are no accessors
yet, but its slightly more abstracted out. Going fully abstract might be a
better idea though.

> > > 	Took a poke at that, interesting - didn't improve my nautilus icon
> > > situation but ... ;-)
> >
> > Situation?
>
> 	Somehow I'm not getting anything but the builtin icon for everything;
> it's certainly something stupid I'm doing though.

Make sure you use the "gnome" icon theme, or a theme that inherits from
it.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a notorious Republican vagrant looking for 'the Big One.' She's an
artistic hip-hop Valkyrie descended from a line of powerful witches. They
fight crime!