Re: [latina] How to start a translation

On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 21:30 -0400, Thomas Thurman wrote:

> Do sentences have capital letters at the start?  "canis in horto
> stabat." a la Cambridge Latin Course, or "Canis in horto stabat." as in
> English?

Interesting. I wonder if this is a classical/medieval issue. Just about
everything I have seen is written with capitals at the start and normal
punctuation. I've heard that early Latin used no punctuation - not even
spaces - and everything was in upper case. To me that means the early
Romans spoke fast and shouted a lot. Me, I think I'd prefer capitals at
the beginning and punctuation because I think that's what most people
these days who might use this would expect to see. I may be way off
course here, however.