Re: gnome-keyring libsecret writing to stdout

On 14.02.2016 18:05, Stef Walter wrote:
On 14.02.2016 17:00, Neal H. Walfield wrote:
Hi,

In pinentry, we have the problem that libsecret sometimes writes error
messages to stdout rather than stderr (specifically, we observe this
when libsecret can't reach the secret service), which confuses the
program using pinentry (it expects Assuan IPC on stdout).

Yup, that's a bug we should fix.

For reference, in Cockpit (which also uses GLib) we had issues with
g_debug [or g_log(...G_LOG_LEVEL_DEBUG...)] messages hitting stdout. We
had to work around that.

The following bug report contains more details:

  https://bugs.gnupg.org/gnupg/issue2243

The relevant part is:

  $ DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=awefwef pinentry
  OK Pleased to meet you
  OPTION allow-external-password-cache
  OK
  SETKEYINFO monkeyman
  OK
  GETPIN
  Failed to lookup password for key monkeyman with secret service: The name
  org.freedesktop.secrets was not provided by any .service files

Unless I'm misunderstanding, this bug is in pinentry:

pinentry$ git grep 'Failed to lookup password'
pinentry/password-cache.c:      printf("Failed to lookup password for
key %s with secret service: %s\n",

I couldn't figure out how to attach a patch to the issue listed above
(even though I registered), so here it is, attached.