Re: gnome-session

On Monday 29 January 2001 10:25, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> Matthias Ettrich <ettrich trolltech com> writes:
> > Do you have his email address? Great that somebody finally looks into
> > that code again :)
>
> John Harper can be reached at <jsh eazel com>.

thanks.

> > When me moved to XSMP for KDE 2 (after gnome unfortunately rejected to
> > follow me with an easier X-based specification),
>
> I think XSMP is technically the correct thing, the older session
> management protocol is crufty and deprecated.

XSMP has some real problems built-in, like the ability to freeze the whole
thing, no way to kill hanging tasks, etc. To make things worse, it supports a
lot of different modes that are never used.

I wasn't talking about the old X11R4 session management protocol
(WM_SAVE_YOURSELF), but something similar to XSMP only without the problems
(based on X11 client messages and properties).  Well, that's history.
Currently, I'm not too unhappy with XSMP, as I believe we got it working
pretty well now.

[snip]

> The gsm code is messy as hell. I don't know if John will do much in
> the way of cleaning it up. Using common code would be nice in theory,
> but it would probably have to be written in plain C without any nice
> libraries and using raw Xlib, so it's probably not the best move for
> the short term.

I suggest we wait until you guys start using C++ ;)

Matthias