gnome-session

Hi,

we received bug reports about gnome-session not working properly with KDE
applications.

Unfortunately we could confirm those problems.

KDE applications, when the session shuts down, try to interact with the users
to avoid data loss. With gnome-session, this results in a hanging logout. It
seems that gnome-session isn't able to handle interaction requests at all.
There is some code for it in
http://cvs.gnome.org/bonsai/cvsblame.cgi?file=gnome-core/gsm/manager.c&rev=&r
oot=/cvs/gnome but it does not look sufficient.

Given that there are no gnome-applications that actually use interaction
windows on shutdown (at least we didn't find any), I suggest you call
SmSaveYourself with SmInteractStyleNone as a workaround.

Who's currently in charge of gnome-session? Is there some development going
on? Is it a goal to make the XSMP protocol implementation compatible with
ksmserver's server and Qt's client implementation? (Qt and KDE applications
work fine with xsm, I don't know whether the gnome implementation is tested
again it).

Another problem seems to be that several Gnome applications cause KDE's
logout to hang. I'm not sure who's to blame here, but we really should
synchronize our XSMP implementations. As it is today, it would be better if
we used two different protocols.

Anybody interested in helping with that?

Matthias