Re: gnome-session

On Monday 29 January 2001 01:00, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> Matthias Ettrich <ettrich trolltech com> writes:
> > Hi,

Hi Maciej,

> > we received bug reports about gnome-session not working properly with KDE
> > applications.
> >
> > Unfortunately we could confirm those problems.
>
> John Harper has agreed to take a crack at the problem, but can't
> promise he will actually be able to figure out the squirrely gsm code.
>
>  - Maciej

Do you have his email address? Great that somebody finally looks into that
code again :)

When me moved to XSMP for KDE 2 (after gnome unfortunately rejected to follow
me with an easier X-based specification), I considered sharing the core
protocol implementatino with gsm. Unfortunately, even back then, gsm was
pretty much unmaintained and the code really scared me %-/  My new
implementation in ksmserver is only about 1000 lines C++. You are welcome to
use this code base, but of coures it makes heavy use of signals and slots and
Qt container classes.

It may very well be that Qt and/or ksmserver does something wrong. However,
we cannot change the many compiled binaries out there, so maybe both session
managers (ksmserver, gsm) have to become slightly more tolerant for the time
being.

As I mentioned previously, turning off interaction for gsm might at least
make the problem less harmful.

I will look into the problem of gnome applications blocking KDE's logout
today, trying to identify the part of the protocol that causes the
missunderstanding. It should at least be possible to hack around it.

Matthias