Re: gnome-session

Matthias Ettrich <ettrich trolltech com> writes:

> Do you have his email address? Great that somebody finally looks into that
> code again :)

John Harper can be reached at <jsh eazel com>.

> When me moved to XSMP for KDE 2 (after gnome unfortunately rejected to follow
> me with an easier X-based specification),

I think XSMP is technically the correct thing, the older session
management protocol is crufty and deprecated.

> I considered sharing the core protocol implementatino with
> gsm. Unfortunately, even back then, gsm was pretty much unmaintained
> and the code really scared me %-/ My new implementation in ksmserver
> is only about 1000 lines C++. You are welcome to use this code base,
> but of coures it makes heavy use of signals and slots and Qt
> container classes.

The gsm code is messy as hell. I don't know if John will do much in
the way of cleaning it up. Using common code would be nice in theory,
but it would probably have to be written in plain C without any nice
libraries and using raw Xlib, so it's probably not the best move for
the short term.

> It may very well be that Qt and/or ksmserver does something wrong. However,
> we cannot change the many compiled binaries out there, so maybe both session
> managers (ksmserver, gsm) have to become slightly more tolerant for the time
> being.

I agree; best to be tolerant in what you accept but strict in what you
send, etc etc.

 - Maciej