Re: gnome-session

On Sunday 28 January 2001 02:22, Matthias Ettrich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we received bug reports about gnome-session not working properly with KDE
> applications.
>
> Unfortunately we could confirm those problems.
>
> KDE applications, when the session shuts down, try to interact with the
> users to avoid data loss. With gnome-session, this results in a hanging
> logout. It seems that gnome-session isn't able to handle interaction
> requests at all. There is some code for it in
> http://cvs.gnome.org/bonsai/cvsblame.cgi?file=gnome-core/gsm/manager.c&rev=
>&r oot=/cvs/gnome but it does not look sufficient.
>
> Given that there are no gnome-applications that actually use interaction
> windows on shutdown (at least we didn't find any), I suggest you call
> SmSaveYourself with SmInteractStyleNone as a workaround.
>
> Who's currently in charge of gnome-session? Is there some development going
> on? Is it a goal to make the XSMP protocol implementation compatible with
> ksmserver's server and Qt's client implementation? (Qt and KDE applications
> work fine with xsm, I don't know whether the gnome implementation is tested
> again it).
>
> Another problem seems to be that several Gnome applications cause KDE's
> logout to hang. I'm not sure who's to blame here, but we really should
> synchronize our XSMP implementations. As it is today, it would be better if
> we used two different protocols.
>
> Anybody interested in helping with that?

Update: I just tested gedit and gnumeric with xsm, and neither of them is
able to do a successful shutdown. Instead, both apps report an error. I
didn't test any other gnome apps yet, but it seems to be a problem in the
libraries.

As it is now, it's a very effective way of making logout in KDE impossible.
Is there a way to turn session management off for all Gnome applications when
running under KDE? I really don't want to add a hack to ksmserver to ignore
all applications starting with an 'g' %-/

Matthias