Re: Integrating a Qt application with both desktops

Kurt Granroth <granroth kde org> writes:
> Now knowing the "not invented here" attitudes in both camps, it's
> unlikely (to point of impossible) that either will adopt the other's
> method of handling mimetypes.  So if we want to standardize on this,
> we need a third, *mutually designed* way of doing it.

I think mutually designed is the only real way to get standards; you
have to go in willing to change stuff. The WM spec worked out very
well in this respect.

> One thought I had was to just have a binary cache of the mimetype
> information that both KDE and GNOME applications can read.  This would
> allow us to both keep our respective systems while still allowing
> applications to share the results.

That sounds like a potentially good idea. I am not familiar enough
with the current setup to comment on how easily GNOME could support
it. But I'd like to see movement here; this would be a big advantage
for users.

Havoc