Re: Integrating a Qt application with both desktops

Today, Kurt Granroth (granroth kde org) wrote:

  > Havoc Pennington wrote:
  > > Right. The MIME database with icons and app associations is what we
  > > need to share.
  >
  > Yep.. and until not that long ago, I thought that we *did*.
  > Specifically, since KDE uses .desktop files to handle the associations
  > (and always has) and since .desktop is a standard between KDE and
  > GNOME, I thought that that would be a "no-brainer"
  >
  > Unfortunately, that isn't the case.

And this only goes some of the way to solving the problem. This assumes
that people only ever run KDE or GNOME. This is silly. The application
should use whatever settings the current active desktop environment use -
i.e., you can select "KDE Session" from [kg]dm and run the app, help runs
in KDE's browser, go back and do the same with "GNOME Session" and
magically, GNOME's browser works. Something needs to be aware of the
current setup. Shared config files for MIME types probably won't work all
that well, as users will get their KDE help browser popping up in GNOME
sessions and vice versa..

--
Mo McKinlay
mmckinlay gnu org