Re: Integrating a Qt application with both desktops

Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Right. The MIME database with icons and app associations is what we
> need to share.

Yep.. and until not that long ago, I thought that we *did*.
Specifically, since KDE uses .desktop files to handle the associations
(and always has) and since .desktop is a standard between KDE and
GNOME, I thought that that would be a "no-brainer"

Unfortunately, that isn't the case.

Now knowing the "not invented here" attitudes in both camps, it's
unlikely (to point of impossible) that either will adopt the other's
method of handling mimetypes.  So if we want to standardize on this,
we need a third, *mutually designed* way of doing it.

One thought I had was to just have a binary cache of the mimetype
information that both KDE and GNOME applications can read.  This would
allow us to both keep our respective systems while still allowing
applications to share the results.
granroth kde org         | granroth suse com
            KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop