Re: gnome/kde application?

At 01:11 PM 4/14/98 +0200, Christian Esken wrote:

>Oh, that´s quite cool. :-)
>Is net transparency done like in kfm with a server process? I know, it is
>planned to take ideas out of mc to Gnome. In how far does that work?

I am not sure yet. Actually there is a gnome-ified mc already. It does have
some big bugs still, but it is coming along. mc (and gmc) implement a vfs
for reading across the network, into archive files, etc. I believe the plan
is to use various manifestations of gmc for the file manager, the file
(load/save) dialogs, and anywhere else it is apropos (the desktop?). mc
handles all of net transparency, but how? I do not know. But I do not think
it is like kfm's way.

>Ah, the WM hints. Good point. Do you have any docu around, how window
>decorations should behave, dependent on the WM flags (including Motif
>WM hints). Or is this all free to "interpretation" of the WM? I am really not
>happy about the WM decoration thing. For example, x11amp comes around
>undecorated with kwm, which is fine, CorelDraw´s (real strange) toolbar
>gets decorated, though (the last time I looked).
>I am really interested, especially if there is a real hint on telling the
WM not
>to decorate the WM.

Well, gnome does not have any proprietary hints, yet. When I argued for it,
and even made an API proposal, it just started a wm holy war. But GNOME
currently does use the mwm hints. Which is not bad, since many WMs support
them. A motif reference is of course the official place to find such info,
but I have found that the MwmUtils.h file from the lesstif distribution is
all you need to implement mwm hints (application side) using standard X
mechanisms. On the wm side, it should be even easier, since the code to
perform those things is already there for the kwm hints, so it just has to
catch the correct property changed message and do the right thing. But if
x11amp comes up undecorated (as it does for me under my mwmHints-compliant
wm) I assume that kwm implements the mwmHints. It could be the "(real
strange) toolbar" in CorelDraw is non-standard. Or does x11amp use
override-redirect?

M.Watson redline@pdq.net
my wm has been accused of looking too much like kwm... :)