Re: gnome/kde application?

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998 Max Watson wrote:
>At 12:33 AM 4/14/98 +0200, Christian Esken wrote:
>

>>You need more than a simple program for a proof-of-concept.
>>You need a program with menu, toolbar, scrollbars and some
>>"drawing area" inside.
>>
>>The kdesdk has an example, khexdit, which might be good for you.
>>It is 20KB C++, and has everything mentioned above. Just leave
>>out its fancier things like net transparency and online help for
>>a start.
>>
>>Christian
>>

>Why leave those things out? First off, GNOME can do that too. And where it
>can not,  it should. Besides, if you leave those things out, then the
>zealots and  around here will only be too happy to point out that KDE does
>things GNOME can not, rather than seeing it for what it is. A difference of
>philosophies. The last thing our projects need is more FUD and holy wars.

Oh, that´s quite cool. :-)
Is net transparency done like in kfm with a server process? I know, it is
planned to take ideas out of mc to Gnome. In how far does that work?

BTW: I thought to leave it out, because he wanted a "simple" program.
I just wanted to point out, that a "Hello World" does not give any hints
on portabilty of programs, And I said "leave out [...] for a start".

>What would really help, IMHO, is a tiny little patch to GNOME (since GTK+
>is in code freeze) to set the KDE wm hints or whatever mechanism is used on
>the tear-off windows. I know it is not the same, because my mwm-hints
>compliant wm treats the two differently (the KDE tear-off gets decorated).
>This would only be a few lines of code in the right place, since other wm
>hints are being set at that same time. Actually, I need to implement this
>in my wm as well. Unless somebody wants to write GLyx. :)

Ah, the WM hints. Good point. Do you have any docu around, how window
decorations should behave, dependent on the WM flags (including Motif
WM hints). Or is this all free to "interpretation" of the WM? I am really not
happy about the WM decoration thing. For example, x11amp comes around
undecorated with kwm, which is fine, CorelDraw´s (real strange) toolbar
gets decorated, though (the last time I looked).
I am really interested, especially if there is a real hint on telling the WM not
to decorate the WM.

Bye,
  Chris

--