Re: GNOME Journal Issue 20 Kickoff

On Tue, 2010-04-13 at 09:29 -0400, Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Mar 2010, Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
> > Now that Issue 19 is out, let's turn our attention to Issue 20, articles due
> > 10 May for a 1 June release.
> >
> > I have a few ideas:
> > * Behind the Scenes with Marina Zhurakhinskaya (GNOME Shell engineer at Red
> > Hat)
> > * A summary of the CSUN GNOME accessibility hackfest
> > [http://live.gnome.org/Accessibility/Hackfest2010] - I saw a lot of PGO
> > blogposts
> > * What's next, after GNOME 3.0?  What's the new vision?
> >
> > There are more ideas at http://live.gnome.org/GnomeJournal/ArticleWishlist of
> > course.  I've just removed some obsolete topics from that page.  And I'd like
> > to hear about the current status of these:
> >
> > * Paul's Behind the Scenes with Seif Lotfy of Zeitgeist
> > * Sri's Seed overview
> > * Paul's interview with the GNOME release team
> >
> > Ideas, raised hands, updates?
>
> I'm reminded that Stormy Peters will do an interview with an Advisory
> Board member.  I've updated our submission queue
> (http://live.gnome.org/GnomeJournal/ArticleSubmissionQueue) with that, but
> it's still pretty skimpy.
>
> Paul and Sri, any updates on the articles you still have in progress?
>
> Marina Zhurakhinskaya doesn't have time to write an article, but perhaps
> someone could interview her or another GNOME Shell contributor for a
> Behind the Scenes.  If you can arrange an IRC interview, and you prep your
> questions ahead of time, this is a pretty fast way to get material for an
> interesting article.  Anyone want to volunteer?
>
> Marina notes:
>
> "You can contact other people on the GNOME Shell team now or later to ask
> them about writing an article. They are Owen Taylor, Colin Walters, Jon
> McCann, Dan Winship, Maxim Ermilov, or Florian Mullner. The last two might
> be interesting because they are not part of the core team at Red Hat
> leading the project, but are our community heroes, as described in this
> post http://blogs.gnome.org/mccann/2010/02/06/action-pack :)."
>

> And it might be a little early for this, but if anyone wants to aggregate
> several developers' answers to "what's GNOME's direction *after* 3.0?"
> then that would also be a fairly painless article to put together.  Again,
> any volunteers?
>
> (I'm soliciting some other articles to work towards having least four
> pieces in by May 10th.)
>
> Best,
> Sumana Harihareswara
> GNOME Journal release organizer

I stole the Release Team interview from GNOME Journal for the GNOME 2009
Annual Report so you'll see it there.  :)

We haven't done a Behind the Scenes for a while and I know Seif is still
interested.  Interviews are a great way to get started with GNOME
Journal and Behind the Scenes have a template[1].  Is anyone interested
in taking this one on?  I'm happy to help make an introduction to Seif.

I'd be willing to do it but I'm hoping to write a Letter from the Editor
as well.

Paul

[1] http://live.gnome.org/GnomeJournal/BehindTheScenes