Re: Next edition

On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 08:03 +0530, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 6:40 AM, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri aracnet com> wrote:
> > There are some other ideas as well:
> >
> >  Development related:
> >  * Vala article
> >  * Clutter article
> >  * Webkit
> >  * Project Ridley
> >  * GIO/GVFS
>
> There's also the rewritten GDM 2.22 (which sadly missed the release schedule).

Ah yes, that's true.  Brian Cameron was doing the work on that right?

> >  Applications:
> >  * Gourmet Recipe Manager
> >  * Gramps and/or GWintree genealogy match up
> >  * Any other cool applications out there?
>
> Gnome-Do! [0]

Sure, go for it!

> PackageKit! Kenvandine was working on this iirc :-)

Yeah, Ken write that.  :-)

> There's also the new 0.7 release of NetworkManager which apparently
> cures cancer[1] ;-)

Nice..

Oh yeah, I'd like to see some other stuff like "writing a rhythmbox
plugin" or some other type thing.

> >  I think we should be concentrating some effort on applications that are
> >  innovative and exciting.  It would help motivate developers.
> >
> >  We should actively try to find people who can write these articles.
> >  I've been burned out a bit since I've been writing 2-3 papers a week and
> >  I'm sick of writing. :-)  I'd like to pull off a release this month if
> >  we are able.  What do you guys think?  Can we make an effort to do this?
> >  I'll be free for the rest of this month after tomorrow.  While I could
> >  write articles it would be kind of wierd to have a release of only
> >  articles written by me.
>
> I'm interested in writing an article on GVFS -- the maintainer's
> courage (mammoth task), people's hopes for it (oh $deity save us from
> gnome-vfs), it's near-fall (ftp backend regression), and the heroic
> comeback _just in time_ for release :^)

Cool,  that sounds like a unique perspective, let us know if you need
any help.

> I basically want to map gvfs' path from proposal to release.

Awesome, I like it!

> However, I'm in the middle of exams right now, which will be followed
> by a week of vacation back home with limited connectivity. I'll work
> on it at home as much as I can, but as a contingency plan, can it be
> squeezed in somehow around the late end of the month?

Understood.

> >  Also see if we can find what other things people are doing around the
> >  GNOME neighborhood I'm sure there is some interesting stuff that is
> >  below the radar.
>
> There's this nifty little Mono app (hacked during the last Novell
> Hackweek)[2] called "Tasky"[3] with integration into Google Calendar,
> Tomboy, and Remember The Milk.
> I think this app has a lot of potential :-)

Sounds great!
sri

--
Sriram Ramkrishna <sri aracnet com>