Re: Contribution to GNOME Journal

On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 09:34:28PM +0200, Sebastian Dziallas wrote:
> Hi Sriram,
>
> Thank you for your response - and please excuse the small delay.

No problem :)

>       > The best way is to probably get on IRC and talk.
> In the near future, I will try to do so...

Email is also alright as well.

> I thought a little bit about what I could write about:
>
> Maybe, I could write some reviews about new or special GNOME software. I had
> also another idea: I could for example create a survey and do the analysis
> of it (e.g. what do the users think of the GNOME desktop in general - or
> maybe the GNOME Journal). As I already pointed out - this is only an idea.
> What do you think about it? And maybe you could tell me what you thought
> about (here or on IRC)...

New and special GNOME software sounds like a pretty decent idea.
Or you could pick a class of software that you could concentrate on.
We had one that did burning software for instance.

I'm less thrilled on surveys and this is just my personal opinion,
it's hard to find the right mix of people and the questions needs to
be worded where it reflects the GNOME desktop as a stock product
as opposed to the modifications done by the distro.  Anyways,
don't let me discourage you.  It might be that you have the right
set of questions.

>       > Offtopic, how did you find getting the information to contribute?
>
>       > Hard? Easy?  Or did it take effort on your point and if so more than
> required or what?
>

> Well, I would propose to extend the 'Contribute' page on gnomejournal.org,
> because currently, it only says: Look at the wiki page!

Ah, okay.

> I would probably copy the 'Become a writer' section out of the wiki to the
> 'Contribute' page. This makes the process of getting into the GNOME Journal,
> in my opinion, a bit easier.

That's a thought..

> And I would use the wiki for planning the releases and articles of the GNOME
> Journal and the gnomejournal.org page for releasing them and informing the
> readers about their possibilities to contribute to the journal.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.  I'll see about what we can do about
fixing the contribution page.

sri