Re: GNOME Platform Overview

El jue, 21-12-2006 a las 20:52 +0100, Dave Neary escribi�> I know Fedrico's working on this, but I'm on the train again ;-)

Nice!  I stole your first paragraph and put in the rest.

======================
Contract work
=============

Developers building on the GNOME platform often ask for some place they
can go to get an overview of the various libraries and technologies in
the platform, and how they link together in the big picture.

At the end of 2005, the GNOME Foundation Board hired Shaun McCance, a
well-known member of the GNOME Documentation Project, on a contract
basis to write a high-level document describing the various parts of
the GNOME development platform.  This work was finished in early 2006.
The published document is available here:

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/guides/platform-overview/platform-overview.html

This "Overview of the GNOME Platform" is the first case where the
GNOME Foundation Board has hired someone explicitly to perform work
related to development.  It was an experiment to see if the Board
could coordinate the work of finding a suitable contractor, defining
the tasks tasks and finally evaluating the work.  We are glad to say
that this was a complete success.

In the future, the Board intends to hire other technical people for
various tasks:  writing documentation, keeping parts of the GNOME web
site updated, and performing system administration tasks.  This is the
kind of work that the community has not been completely successful in
doing, at least based only on volunteers.  The Board believes that a
good use for the Foundation's money is precisely to finish these
missing tasks.

> Here's some stuff on Shaun's docs - Federico, you can use as much or
as
> little of this as you want. It's two paragraphs... maybe a nice sidebar,
> with a small Shaun photo?

Hmm, I only know of Shaun's hackergotchi (the one with the hat).  No
idea where to get a real picture of him.

  Federico