Re: Mail not being received from bugzilla.gnome.org

On Tue, 2010-09-28 at 18:48 +0200, Olav Vitters wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 04:32:25PM +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
> > cc'ing gnome-infrastructure: that's the right mailing list for this
> > topic.
>
> > Le mardi 28 septembre 2010, à 10:17 -0400, Paul Smith a écrit :
> > > This shows that the bugzilla.gnome.org MTA is misconfigured and not
> > > behaving properly.
>
> 'Not behaving properly' is your interpretation.

Not just my interpretation.  As David pointed out the very postfix
document you linked to in the bug stated that the behavior of
bugzilla.org in this respect is a mis-configuration:

>         Unfortunately, sender address verification cannot simply be
>         turned on for all email - you are likely to lose legitimate
>         mail from mis-configured systems.

> IMO relying on the sender address to exist is done at your own discretion.

Not _MY_ discretion; the mail never arrives at my mail client so there's
no way I can make that decision.  This is at the discretion of my (and
David's, and others') ISP who are the ones who configure the MTA to use
sender address validation, in order to reduce/avoid spam.

> If you want to move it forward, explain how I can easily configure it
> exactly as I described in the bug. Meaning: low maintenance. I know of
> one possibility, I think that is is really ugly and I am not willing to
> do that as it'll likely break often.

I subscribed to the postfix-users mailing list and asked them and they
responded:

> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 02:51:37PM -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
>
> > Basically, what's a simple way to configure postfix ignore incoming mail
> > to a given address, while still properly handling server address
> > verification to that address?
>
>         recipient_access:
>             # Discard all mail to this address
>             dropmail example com DISCARD
>
>         virtual_aliases:
>             # Pass recipient validation
>             dropmail example com postmaster
>
>         main.cf:
>             indexed = ${default_database_type}:${config_directory}/
>
>             smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
>                 permit_mynetworks,
>                 reject_unauth_destination,
>                 check_recipient_access ${indexed}recipient_access
>
>             virtual_alias_maps = ${indexed}virtual_aliases

I don't know anything about postfix config but that doesn't look too bad
to me... is that good enough?

Cheers!