Re: secondary DNS server

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 7:33 AM, Olav Vitters <olav vitters nl> wrote:
>> > progress.gnome.org also works

I just finished work on the DNS slave. I went with progress due to the
initial suggestion that signal was built on Gentoo (which we've since
learned is not the case). I didn't want to have to maintain much on a
Gentoo machine (call me lazy) and I started the work before I learned
signal was Debian, so that is how it ended up on the Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
server.

In any case, bind9 is running now on progress and is acting as a slave
to menubar. I see there are additional configured zones on other
servers, which I've commented out until those can be configured with
allow-transfer definitions for the new slave. Someone may need to
inform me where these other boxes are and who to contact for them.

Also, I configured BIND chrooted, which requires manual work on
Debian. Debian does not include a -chroot package like RHEL does, so
manually creating the chroot environment is required. I matched the
directory structure of menubar (the RHEL definition) to be standard
between the two machines. For example,
/var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf can be found in the same location,
and zone data is found in /var/named/chroot/{slave,master}, etc.

If you have any questions about the setup please let me know. I'm sure
it can be improved a bit, as it is a bit of a hybrid between RHEL and
Debian configurations, but it is functional.

I'll add the new NS record to the existing zones by the end of the day.

Christer