Re: Gateway form an external SVN to the GNOME Git

On Tue, 2009-09-08 at 20:23 +0200, Mario Blättermann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there is somebody out of the GNOME Git, who is interested in to use the
> GNOME infrastructure for his project. Jim Evins [1] is the developer of
> gLabels [2] for a very long time, we speak about more than ten years. To
> get new or updated translations (both GUI and docs) he recognizes moving
> to our Git repository as the best possible way.
>
> Am Montag, den 07.09.2009, 21:09 -0400 schrieb Jim Evins:
> > I realize I would get a lot more help by moving to the
> > GNOME infrastructure, however I am an old fart and don't currently
> > have
> > the interest or desire to learn git.
>
> And that's the problem: He doesn't want to change his well-known SVN
> workflow. Is it possible to setup a gateway from his SVN repository at
> SourceForge to git.gnome.org? We have had such gateways, e.g. for
> GNOME-Commander or Pybliographer. But these were from SVN to SVN or from
> Git to SVN. Now we need the other direction from SVN to Git. It would be
> nice to get some help for this.

Read-only export of SVN as Git is reasonably straightforward - John Carr
set up git-mirror.gnome.org before we switched over. I'm not saying that
we'd be willing to set it up, but at least it is clear how to do it.

But a "write-through" mirror where people can commit to Git and its
propagated back to SVN isn't practical.

I don't know if there is a gnome-infrastructure solution here.
If Git isn't an option, then probably the best thing to do is to use a
web-based translation community. For example,
translate.fedoraproject.org, other alternatives exist.

(I do firmly believe that Git is a big upgrade from SVN, even for "old
farts". I'm not much of an experimenter myself with my toolset, but once
started using it, I couldn't go back.)

- Owen