Re: Putting Splinter on bugzilla.gnome.org

On Wed, 2009-10-07 at 18:05 +0200, Olav Vitters wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 11:09:35AM -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:

> > > It is an extension that relies on something being installed on the
> > > server? How does Splinter connect with Bugzilla? Why have splinter be
> > > seperate? Shouldn't everything just stay within the Bugzilla extension?
> >
> > Well, two things here:
> >
> >  - I don't want Splinter to be bugzilla.gnome.org specific. So it
> >    shouldn't be just checked into our bzr repository under extensions/.
>
> I didn't mean that for the Bzr repos. The b.g.o repos should just have a
> copy of splinter. Basically, the make install bits. However, I thought
> there were other parts that aren't just in the extension.
>
> >  - To keep the (large amounts) of Javascript manageable, it's maintained
> >    in separate files then "compiled" into a single file. This means that
> >    more than a simple checkout into extensions/ is needed.
> >
> > So the way I set it up is that you do a
> > 'make install BUGZILLA_ROOT=/path/to/bugzilla'.
>
> I don't like that. Just make install it to the b.g.o repos, then commit.
> If I update the server I already have to:
> bzr up
> ./checksetup.pl -t
> sudo service httpd restart
>
> That the splinter extension is compiled and so on I don't care about if
> I 'bzr up'. I don't want e.g. 'bzr up' && 'git pull --rebase' && 'make
> install FOO' for b.g.o.

Hmm, that's possible. And I guess it would help make test installs of
bugzilla.gnome.org more like the real server.

But I'm not completely happy with it. First, it strikes me as a little
awkward and confusing. To have an extension/ in the bzr repo that looks
a lot like the other extensions, but that you must not edit.

It hasn't really made updating Splinter any more like updating the rest
of Bugzilla - it's just moved the 'make install' procedure that has to
be documented from the server to the developer's machine.

But more substantively, if I have some Splinter fix I want to put into
place, I don't want to have to risk redeploying all the
bugzilla.gnome.org code. What if there are some other changes that are
sitting in the repository that haven't been deployed yet?

I'd be happier, especially while Splinter is still under active
development, if the install procedures for the bugzilla code and for
Splinter were orthogonal and separate:

 - To update bugzilla, follow the instructions you listed above

 - To update Splinter:

    cd /usr/local/www/splinter
    git pull
    make install