Re: Import of Git repositories?

On 7/27/09, Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-07-27 at 14:44 +0200, Christian Rose wrote:
>  > What should we do about all pending "please import my Git repository"
>  > requests, i.e. requests where someone wants their project hosted on
>  > git.gnome.org?
>  >
>  > I've asked Olav, but Olav does not do Git. And I haven't found any
>  > suitable instructions on http://live.gnome.org/Git, like "this is the
>  > procedure for new repo requests" or "this is how you as a sysadmin
>  > import a Git repository" guide on , nor any "this is how you convert
>  > someone's existing SVN repo into Git for inclusion on git.gnome.org"
>  > or the like.
>  >
>  > Currently, there are quite a few pending requests:
>  >
>  > https://www.gnome.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=8945 (libdmapsharing)
>  > https://www.gnome.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=8946 (Global Menu)
>  > https://www.gnome.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=8965 (gnome-workspacetime)
>  > https://www.gnome.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=8986 (Eina)
>  > https://www.gnome.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=9004 (kupfer)
>  >
>  > Currently, it seems my only options is to let these tickets (and more
>  > of the same kind that come in) bitrot some more, unless someone
>  > magically speaks up "I know how to do it and am prepared to do it" or
>  > "I know how to do it and can write instructions for it".
>

> Generally:
>
>   http://live.gnome.org/Git/NewRepository
>
>  Should be sufficient. There's no special sysadmin-only magic needed.
>
>  The one thing that maybe isn't completely clear from those instructions
>  is how to get a repository that has all the branches and tags of the old
>  repository.
>
>   - If you have a tarball of the repository you can just untar it and
>    push from that
>
>   - If you have a remote URL somewhere you can:
>
>     git clone --mirror ssh://oldrepo
>
>  - Owen
>
>  Note: In this usage there is no difference between --mirror and --bare -
>  that distinction is only for later updates. But --mirror is easier to
>  remember.

Ok. Sorry for my stupid question, but the procedure this amounts to,
for this type of requests is essentially, if I understand this
correctly:

1. Ask the requestor if http://live.gnome.org/ProjectPrerequisites is fulfilled.
2. Create the necessary account(s).
3. Ask the requestor to run 'create-repository' and 'git clone
--mirror' himself, as per instructions on
http://live.gnome.org/Git/NewRepository.

Correct?

Christian