Re: Dia on git.gnome.org (experimental repository)

On 01/18/2009 09:39 AM, Sandy Armstrong wrote:
In an earlier post Owen was mentioning a lot of "angst" [1] regarding the
switch from SVN to git, unfortunately I share that angst.

In the list of possible (distributed) version control systems from my
limited experience git is the one, which cares less for portability (fair
enough for being the Linux kernel version control system).

But for gnome.org where a lot of projects actually do care for portability
I think there should be official vcs support at least for major platforms
we care about. And some usable gui integration would be nice, too [2].

I think everybody needs to take this very seriously.  It may be that
Hans just has the wrong version of git installed, I don't know.  But
without straightforward installers and GUI tools like TortoiseSVN, we
are really pushing away the Windows developer community (Mac, too?).
Maybe this isn't a big deal to most of GNOME, but I know it will have a
negative impact on my modules (Tomboy, Tasque).

I'm not trying to convince you that this is a blocker, or anything.  But
if we do go ahead with a git migration, let's not pretend that it is an
improvement on the Windows/Mac side.

In retrospect, this part of my post is not really appropriate for this mailing list. If people want to discuss it, let's move it somewhere else like desktop-devel-list. Otherwise, I'm sorry for straying off topic. :-)

Sandy