Re: Git migration docs

Am Donnerstag, den 15.01.2009, 23:13 +0100 schrieb Claude Paroz:
> Le jeudi 15 janvier 2009 à 22:57 +0100, Murray Cumming a écrit :
> > On Thu, 2009-01-15 at 22:32 +0100, Mathias Hasselmann wrote:
> > > So maybe we should just drop the old habit of creating large self
> > > contained commits which require exhaustive ChangeLog entries: Micro
> > > patches that focus on just one change are much easier to review.
> >
> > But shouldn't interdependent changes be reviewed together? I generally
> > find that these many mini-commits make it hard for me to see the big
> > picture. I tend to wish that the person had combined the many
> > local-commits into one atomic commit when pushing it to the main
> > repository.
>
> Sometimes mini-commits makes sense, sometimes not...
>
> What should prevent someone of writing a "prepare-ChangeLog"-like script
> that cook up a subject line followed by a multiline content with file
> names, and then launch a git-commit and pre-fill the commit message with
> this content?

I think MOAP can do this already.

There also are the tools I have:

      * http://taschenorakel.de/gitweb/?p=scmtools;a=blob;f=commit
      * http://taschenorakel.de/gitweb/?p=mkcl;a=blob;f=commit

Hmm, well. Expect that my version of mkcl is quite broken. Used to have
a better version somewhere, but forgot to commit it. Maybe I should
finally contribute a MOAP patch to write the output of "moap changelog
prepare" to stdout, instead of ChangeLog.

Ciao,
Mathias
--
Mathias Hasselmann <mathias hasselmann gmx de>
Personal Blog: http://taschenorakel.de/mathias/