Re: Experimental repositories on git.gnome.org

Am Donnerstag, den 15.01.2009, 14:38 -0600 schrieb Shaun McCance:
> I think we should just suck it up and deal with the fact that
> the commit messages are old-school.  Just focus on extracting
> and prepending good subject lines.

+1

Just one other note: Since nearly a year I use a small shell script to
create commit messages from ChangeLog entries. To get pretty "git log"
output I've started my ChangeLog entries with some summarizing
paragraph:

	2009-01-15  Mathias Hasselmann  <mathias hasselmann gmx de>

		Just some stuff for demonstration.

		* src/foo.c (foo(), bar()): Blub, blub

The script extracts the following commit message:

	Just some stuff for demonstration.

	* src/foo.c (foo(), bar()): Blub, blub

See my commits to libepc or gtk+ for real examples.

So ideally the conversion script would preserve such git friendly commit
messages. To detect them it would have to check if the first line starts
with an asterisk. If it does, it might apply some heuristics to generate
a meaningful summary. Otherwise it should just copy the commit message
without any change.

Ciao,
Mathias
--
Mathias Hasselmann <mathias hasselmann gmx de>
Personal Blog: http://taschenorakel.de/mathias/