Re: Experimental repositories on git.gnome.org

On 01/14/2009 04:10 PM, Owen Taylor wrote:
With heroic efforts on the conversion scripts, Kristian has finished an
initial run at converting all svn.gnome.org repositories and putting
them on git.gnome.org.

This is truly awesome work!  Get job everybody.

Notes on commit messages
========================

In the conversion process, Kristian is running a script that changes a
ChangeLog-paste commit message like:

====
2005-08-09  Owen Taylor<otaylor redhat com>

         * configure.in: Strip out all Xft, FreeType, and pangoxft checking.
         Rewrite X checks to use pkg-config as much as possible.

         * gdk/win32/gdkfont-win32.c (gdk_font_from_description_for_display): Make
         this return Arial always to avoid using PangoWin32FontMap. (X11 backend
         has always been returned "fixed" for a long time)

         * gdk/linux-fb/gdkdrawable-fb2.c: Remove draw_glyphs() implementations,
         fall through to the default implementation in terms of Cairo.

         * gdk/linux-fb/gdkdrawable-fb2.c (gdk_fb_draw_text): Use gdk_draw_glyphs()
         on the wrapper rather than gdk_fb_draw_glyphs().
====

to:

====
commit cd9ecd30e479f7c47a84ffa354643fb90a7b9a4b
Author: Owen Taylor<otaylor src gnome org>
Date:   Wed Aug 10 02:31:51 2005 +0000

     Strip out all Xft, FreeType, and pangoxft checking. Rewrite X
     checks to use pkg-config as much as possible.

     Make this return Arial always to avoid using PangoWin32FontMap. (X11
     backend has always been returned "fixed" for a long time)

     Remove draw_glyphs() implementations, fall through to the default
     implementation in terms of Cairo.

     Use gdk_draw_glyphs() on the wrapper rather than
     gdk_fb_draw_glyphs()
====

Stripping the header line and leading whitespace is pretty clearly a
good thing (though it can occasionally lose author information when it
is different from the committer). Stripping the file names is a bit more
controversial.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not really sure I understand why file name references are being removed. I guess you have a shorter message, but you have basically no context when you run `git log` to see what's been going on. The example you give above is pretty meaningless to me, and I'm pretty sure it would be hard to follow a similar message in modules I maintain or contribute to.

Is this the common convention in projects using git? If so, I really don't understand what commit message format has to do with choice of source control [1]...

Just my $.02,
Sandy

[1] Besides the headers, which are an obvious win if they can be converted correctly.