Re: svn to git commit

On Thu, 2009-01-15 at 12:55 -0500, Hubert Figuiere wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-01-15 at 11:21 -0600, Jason D. Clinton wrote:
> > Kristian said a few days ago on this list that figuring out what
> > people's real email addresses are would be nice but there appears to
> > be no consistent and reliable way to do that. The only publicly
> > accessible database of such addresses that I know of is the
> > self-maintained UserPage on l.g.o.
> >
> > Perhaps there's something more reliable...?
>
> AFAIK, each svn account has an email associated to it. But it is
> possible that the user do not want, so let's put that aside.
>
> Maybe having something like a MAINTAINERS file either globally or per
> project where people would put an entry for their account?
>
> I can live with it otherwise.

There does exist a current mapping from @svn.gnome.org addresses to real
email addresses, that's not the problem.  The concern is that mapping
all your commits back to 1997 to the email you happen to have now is not
going to be correct.  Suppose you worked for one Linux company in 2000
and now work for a different Linux company - you don't want to attribute
the 2000 commits to an email belonging to your new employer.  So we're
probably just going to stick with the more cautious @src.gnome.org email
addresses.

cheers,
Kristian