Re: Problem in the git importation

On ven, 2009-02-13 at 14:07 -0500, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-02-13 at 19:16 +0100, Xavier Claessens wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was looking at the preview for the git migration. For the empathy
> > module, there are some old branches in the git repository that were
> > deleted from SVN ages ago.
> >
> > Compare
> > http://git.gnome.org/cgit/preview/empathy/
> > with
> > http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/empathy/branches/
> >
> > It is not very important, I can remove them manually after the import,
> > but if that can be fixed in the script it's even better :)
>
> Yeah, the git import doesn't delete branches, and in the case where a
> branch or tag gets overwritten it's backed up as branch_rxxx or
> tag_rxxx.  I'm leaving it up to the module owners to purge tags like
> that that aren't important anymore.  Unlike svn tags and branches, a
> deleted tag of branch doesn't leave any trace in history, so just
> deleting the branch will suffice.

Ok, no problem :)

> > Another little problem:
> > We are already using git for empathy. I'm using git-svn to push all dev
> > made in git into svn. To keep the author names in git, I commit with
> > that command:
> > git svn dcommit --add-author-from --use-log-author
> > Would be really great if the import script can set the author of git
> > commit by parsing "Signed-off-by:" or "From:" lines in the commit
> > message. Atm my name seems to be used for all commits made by other
> > contributors.
>
> That's pretty easy, I reimported empathy with this, have a look.  What
> about commits with both From: and Signed-off-by:, which one takes
> precedence?  I'd assume From:, right?

Perfect!!! Seems all authors are correct! You are my hero today :D
I think From: should take precedence over Signed-off-by: because From:
is explicitely set by git-svn, signed-off-by is more a guess (A commit
from someone else could be signed by anyone...). Anyway, in the empathy
case they should both always be the same.

Regards,
Xavier Claessens.