Re: Problem in the git importation

On Fri, 2009-02-13 at 19:16 +0100, Xavier Claessens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was looking at the preview for the git migration. For the empathy
> module, there are some old branches in the git repository that were
> deleted from SVN ages ago.
>
> Compare
> http://git.gnome.org/cgit/preview/empathy/
> with
> http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/empathy/branches/
>
> It is not very important, I can remove them manually after the import,
> but if that can be fixed in the script it's even better :)

Yeah, the git import doesn't delete branches, and in the case where a
branch or tag gets overwritten it's backed up as branch_rxxx or
tag_rxxx.  I'm leaving it up to the module owners to purge tags like
that that aren't important anymore.  Unlike svn tags and branches, a
deleted tag of branch doesn't leave any trace in history, so just
deleting the branch will suffice.

> Another little problem:
> We are already using git for empathy. I'm using git-svn to push all dev
> made in git into svn. To keep the author names in git, I commit with
> that command:
> git svn dcommit --add-author-from --use-log-author
> Would be really great if the import script can set the author of git
> commit by parsing "Signed-off-by:" or "From:" lines in the commit
> message. Atm my name seems to be used for all commits made by other
> contributors.

That's pretty easy, I reimported empathy with this, have a look.  What
about commits with both From: and Signed-off-by:, which one takes
precedence?  I'd assume From:, right?

cheers,
Kristian