Re: Push emails for Git

Hi,

  As the pusher, committer and the author can be different I think the
pusher should be listed somewhere, maybe:

Subject: [gnome-shell] Bug 570579: Redo the layout of overlay components

Pushed by <userid>:
<output of git show -p --stat>

Also, and maybe it is too long, but what about putting the "git
describe" output or something similar in the subject?

Subject: [pango PANGO_1_23_0-1-g44c9dd3] Bug 570579: Redo the layout
of overlay components

2009/2/13 Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com>:
> Multiple commits
> ================
>
> Subject: [gnome-shell] (3 commits) Merge branch 'statusmenu'...
>
> Summary of changes:
>
>  b7a0a5e... Merge branch 'statusmenu'
>  de1c150... Add librsvg-devel to the OpenSuSE dependency list
>
> <output of git show -p --stat for each commit>
>

> The detailed 'git show' output would be omitted for any commit "previously
> in the repository". "previously in the repository" is actually impossible
> to figure out 100% reliably, but you can do a reasonable job as long
> as you aren't concerned that someone determined could fake it out.
>
> Another possibility is that we want to send out separate mails for
> each commit in a case like the above, and never have multiple patches
> combined into a single mail. So, you might have mails
>
>  Subject: [gnome-shell] [1/3] Add librsvg-devel to the OpenSuSE dependency list
>  Subject: [gnome-shell] [3/3] Merge branch 'statusmenu'...
>
> Though I'm not quite sure how to properly represent the relationship between
> the commits in the mails.

Maybe a "cover letter" describing the commits pushed and individual
mails for each commit as followups.

> Annotated tag created
> =====================
>
> Subject: [gnome-shell] Created tag GNOME_SHELL_2_28_0
>
> The tag 'GNOME_SHELL_2_28_0' was created.
>
> Tagger: Owen W. Taylor <otaylor fishsoup net>
> Date: Thu Jan 29 18:36:24 2009 -0500
>
>    Release gnome-shell-2.28
>
> Changes since the last tag 'GNOME-2.25.90':
>
>  2d3988c... Bug 570579: Redo the layout of overlay components
>  de1c150... Add librsvg-devel to the OpenSuSE dependency list

"git shortlog"?

> Annotated tag updated
> Annotated tag deleted

I think tag update and deletion should also be forbidden.

I also think that only annotated tags make sense in the Gnome Git
repositories, lightweight tag should be forbidden also.