Re: Moin event stats

On Fri, 2009-08-14 at 10:13 -0700, Jeff Schroeder wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 7:51 AM, Olav Vitters<olav bkor dhs org> wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 07:03:57AM -0700, Jeff Schroeder wrote:
> >> We wouldn't need to move the ldap master if bugzilla stopped eating this server.
> >
> > Why do you assume Bugzilla has much influence on the server? Bugzilla
> > site is slow, but that is usually due to a table lock. Meaning: not a
> > lot of CPU. There will be unneeded apache child processes, but that
> > just requires a sane limit on it.
>
> That statement was actually meant to encompass bugzilla + the log file
> you mentioned and cleaned up previously. In the future wouldn't it be
> better to just truncate the log though? Then you don't worry about
> dangling fds and the need to restaEspecially wit rt apache.

The reason that I restarted apache was that I assumed that we had a
large number of httpd client processes stuck in a semi-infinite Python
loop; not a worry about dangling FDs.

> So here is the same statement rephrased: We wouldn't need to move the
> ldap master if the apps running under apache stopped eating this
> server and driving the load way up.

Sure. I doubt we need anything as big as label just to host LDAP though.
("big" used advisably. It's a dual-PIV-Xeon with 2GB of RAM.)

So, as long as we don't have a better home for live.gnome.org, it makes
more sense to me to leave live.gnome.org on there and move LDAP
elsewhere to a machine that doesn't host websites or other services
with highly variable loads and a tendency to run amok.

- Owen