Re: Infrastructure policies for 3rd party GNOME apps

On 8/6/09, Michael Terry <mike mterry name> wrote:
> Hello, GNOMErs!  I'm not sure this is quite the right mailing list,
>  but it seemed correct.
>
>  Basically, I'm the maintainer of a 3rd party (i.e. not formally
>  recognized by the GNOME project as part of its offerings) open source
>  application designed for GNOME [1].  My question is, as an unofficial
>  GNOMEish app, how much of gnome.org infrastructure is it OK to use?
>
>  Specifically, is it appropriate for a 3rd party app to:
>   * Add pages to live.gnome.org for the app
>   * Add itself to http://projects.gnome.org/
>
>  The above is really all I'm interested in, but additionally, if I
>  wanted, would it be appropriate to:
>   * Ask for a bugzilla project for the app
>   * Ask for a mailing list
>   * Use git branches (I happen to have commit access, but I'm still not
>  sure adding my 3rd party apps would be OK)
>   * Use tarball release infrastructure
>
>  i.e. how much of a generic GNOME app project host is gnome.org?
>
>  I assume that some of this information is available somewhere, but I
>  both didn't know where to look and couldn't find it.  Maybe in
>  addition to answering me, someone could add the answer to the GNOME
>  website somewhere.

The project prerequisites are here: http://live.gnome.org/ProjectPrerequisites

Basically, you do not have to have an "official GNOME" app to be
hosted, but those requireements need to be met.

Also keep in mind that we are not SourceForge and others, e.g. we are
a volunteer project and have very limited support and so on. If you're
fine with that, and the project prerequisites are matched, just go
ahead and add your repo. See http://live.gnome.org/Git/NewRepository.

Christian