Re: On autogenerated ChangeLog

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 8:26 PM, Tristan Van Berkom <tvb gnome org> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 12:19 PM, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)
> <zeenix gmail com> wrote:
> [...]
>>
>>  Dude, we have moved to git and you are still talking of versioned
>> ChangeLog and favoring large patches?
>
> With a tool like git, you should be at least able to generate a single
> reviewable patch, large or small, and thats reviewable, yes.
>
> Versioned ChangeLog is a matter of trust, Id personally rather
> take care of it and revision it by hand, I didnt ask other people
> to do so, this is what I will do though (also, merging changes
> in a ChangeLog cannot be difficlult, definitly not more difficult
> than merging sources).

Sending patches along with the modified ChangeLog would be a complete
nightmare. Essentially they'll never apply cleanly and you would
always need to resolve the conflicts.

This would also make incredibly difficult powerful tasks such as rebasing.

Please generate the ChangeLog on 'make dist'.

--
Felipe Contreras