Re: On autogenerated ChangeLog

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 9:54 PM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I first wrote Makefile.am magic for Pango to generate ChangeLog from git on
> demand.  Those macros have been modified and gathered in
> http://live.gnome.org/Git/ChangeLog to only generate ChangeLog for "make
> dist".  I wonder what people actually want to have, so I can work on
> canonical macros to copy across projects (and eventually find a better way
> to distribute).  Pros and cons:

Personally, I prefer maintaining an actual revisioned ChangeLog file, simply
because I like having the ChangeLog as a part of the project data, revisioning
tools come and go, projects get exported and imported, but the ChangeLog
always remains in the repository or published tarball.

... I'd be tempted though to somehow preset the commit message
of a changeset to be the current diffs against the ChangeLog (i.e.
when prompted with the editor), that would save me a step of getting
the information from ChangeLog into the commit message...

Cheers,
                 -Tristan