Re: git account verification --- prompting for password/passphrase

On Tue, 2009-04-07 at 19:22 +0530, sandeep shedmake wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 6:37 PM, Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com>
> wrote:
>         On Tue, 2009-04-07 at 17:09 +0530, sandeep shedmake wrote:
>         > Hi,
>         >
>         > My username is "sandeeps". I am GNOME Marathi Co-ordinator.
>         >
>         > As per http://live.gnome.org/GitMigration/Translators, I
>         tried
>         > following:
>         >
>         > "ssh -v MYUSERNAME git gnome org"
>         >
>         > I am prompted for a password/passphrase.
>         >
>         > Its the same username and passphrase by which i did all the
>         upstream
>         > checkouts and commits for GNOME 2.26 Translations
>         (successfully).
>         > I wonder whats the problem.
>

>         You should understand the difference between a password and a
>         passphrase. A password is used as a means of authentication to
>         a remote
>         system. We do not use passwords for authentication
>
>         A passphrase encrypts your private key - locally on your
>         system - and is
>         never sent to the server. Your ssh key for gnome.org must be
>         encrypted
>         with a passphrase.
>
>         You have a ssh key on git.gnome.org:
>
>         AAAAB3NzaC1yc2E...3xPTjzSWFVo1WoU9ctQ== sshedmak sshedmak csb
>
>         And it looks correctly installed. Check that matches your
>         id_rsa.pub. If
>         you still have problems, the complete output of 'ssh -v' would
>         be useful
>         in diagnosing the problem.
>
> The complete output of 'ssh -v sandeeps git gnome org' is attached.
>
> Why the exit status ended up with '1' ?

The output shows a successful ssh connection to git.gnome.org; but you
cannot log into that machine. It's sealed to only allow remote git
access.

Probably we should do two things to clarify:

 - The translator wiki page should not say to run ssh -v, since
   all the output makes it really hard to understand what's going on.

 - I should change the error message when you try to ssh in from:

    ERROR: must specify a command

   To maybe:

    SSH authentication succeeded. Interactive login to git.gnome.org
    is not allowed.

- Owen