Re: git account verification --- prompting for password/passphrase

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 2:52 PM, sandeep shedmake
<sandeep shedmake gmail com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 6:37 PM, Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 2009-04-07 at 17:09 +0530, sandeep shedmake wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > My username is "sandeeps". I am GNOME Marathi Co-ordinator.
>> >
>> > As per http://live.gnome.org/GitMigration/Translators, I tried
>> > following:
>> >
>> > "ssh -v MYUSERNAME git gnome org"
>> >
>> > I am prompted for a password/passphrase.
>> >
>> > Its the same username and passphrase by which i did all the upstream
>> > checkouts and commits for GNOME 2.26 Translations (successfully).
>> > I wonder whats the problem.
>>
>> You should understand the difference between a password and a
>> passphrase. A password is used as a means of authentication to a remote
>> system. We do not use passwords for authentication
>>
>> A passphrase encrypts your private key - locally on your system - and is
>> never sent to the server. Your ssh key for gnome.org must be encrypted
>> with a passphrase.
>>
>> You have a ssh key on git.gnome.org:
>>
>> AAAAB3NzaC1yc2E...3xPTjzSWFVo1WoU9ctQ== sshedmak sshedmak csb
>>
>> And it looks correctly installed. Check that matches your id_rsa.pub. If
>> you still have problems, the complete output of 'ssh -v' would be useful
>> in diagnosing the problem.
>
> The complete output of 'ssh -v sandeeps git gnome org' is attached.
>
> Why the exit status ended up with '1' ?

The output of the ssh command looks fine. You managed to make the test
connection, you were prompted for a passphrase, you managed to put the correct
passphrase (you Entered interactive session) and the output is similar
to the wiki instructions.

You can now
git clone ssh://sandeeps git gnome org/git/gtk+
or any other available package.

The Exit 1 refers to the test command 'ssh -v sandeeps git gnome org'.
When you run this command and it works, you get an interactive shell
which terminates immediately because this test connection 'did not specify
a command'. This is the final proof (the message "ERROR: must specify
a command")
that you managed to enter to git.gnome.org and that your account
settings work fine.

Simos