Re: git account verification --- prompting for password/passphrase

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 6:37 PM, Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> wrote:
On Tue, 2009-04-07 at 17:09 +0530, sandeep shedmake wrote:
> Hi,
> My username is "sandeeps". I am GNOME Marathi Co-ordinator.
> As per, I tried
> following:
> "ssh -v MYUSERNAME git gnome org"
> I am prompted for a password/passphrase.
> Its the same username and passphrase by which i did all the upstream
> checkouts and commits for GNOME 2.26 Translations (successfully).
> I wonder whats the problem.

You should understand the difference between a password and a
passphrase. A password is used as a means of authentication to a remote
system. We do not use passwords for authentication

A passphrase encrypts your private key - locally on your system - and is
never sent to the server. Your ssh key for must be encrypted
with a passphrase.

You have a ssh key on

AAAAB3NzaC1yc2E...3xPTjzSWFVo1WoU9ctQ== sshedmak sshedmak csb

And it looks correctly installed. Check that matches your If
you still have problems, the complete output of 'ssh -v' would be useful
in diagnosing the problem.

The complete output of 'ssh -v sandeeps git gnome org' is attached.

Why the exit status ended up with '1' ?

- Owen