Re: post-commit msgs to -devel lists w/ full diff and commit msg

On Dec 31, 2007 8:54 PM, Olav Vitters <olav bkor dhs org> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 31, 2007 at 03:18:21PM -0600, Gabriel Burt wrote:
> > I can see that rolling this out for all projects, including many
> > (most) that don't want it, would be wasteful.  Can we roll it out on a
> > case-by-case basis for projects that ask?
>
> No. Either all or nothing.
>
> > The benefit is you can keep track of code changes without leaving your
> > mail client (who is going to click on a link for each diff?).  And if
> > the reply-to is already set to the -devel list, you can discuss and
>
> The reply to cannot be set on a project basis. There is no list and even
> if there was, the maintenance will fall on sysadmins (meaning, it will
> never be updated as I don't consider a reply-to to be important.

I think we established talking on irc that rolling this out
project-by-project is a possibility, but we don't want to do it in any
way that burdens the sysadmins.

I propose that we keep things working exactly like they currently do,
with the exception that if you put your module/project into a special
plain text file in svn, you will get full diffs in your svn-commits
topic.  Since only people actively desiring this feature would have to
do anything, and there is sufficient incentive for them, they would
maintain it.  Plus, it could be this simple:

# modulename : reply-to-address
banshee : banshee-devel-list gnome org

This would be really easy to parse/load in the perl script too.

> > annotate the diff (w/ its full text already there) easily.  Karl
> > describes it (and with the voice of experience) better than I can
> > here:  http://producingoss.com/en/vc.html#commit-emails
>
> I care about the existing subscribers to avoid annoying them. Perhaps
> asking on pgo is a good idea. I can understand why it would be useful,
> I want to be sure the existing subscribers agree.

I've posted to pgo
(http://gburt.blogspot.com/2008/01/pacing-progress.html) and have
gotten three favorable (and no negative) responses.

Thanks for your help with this!

Gabriel